Sunday, September 4, 2011

Words Have Impact

I just got done reading a blog post by David Fournier and it described everything that I have been currently thinking.
Here's the link to the post. His blog is extremely good, if you have time to read it.
Weapons of Mass Destruction...

There have been a lot of things going on lately that many people have never experienced before...and I won't go into detail but just think about what is being said. I mean, really, people listen to what you say to them. I know I listen to what people say to me, and when they're mean to me, it sticks, whether I want it to or not...it sticks to me like a leech and I refer back to it when someone else says something mean to me. I can't be the only one who does this...

There has been a "re-copy" status going around on Facebook:
"The Girl you just called fat? She is overdosing on diet pills.The Girl you just called ugly? She spends hours putting makeup on hoping people will like her.The Boy you just tripped? He is abused enough at home. See that man with the ugly scars? He fought for our country. That guy you just made fun of for crying? His mother is dying. Put this on your status for an hour, if you are against bullying. You never know what its like until you walk a mile in their shoes."
I mean, really. Nobody knows what is going on in other people's lives...even if we're joking...it still sticks...

There's also a song I listened to recently by Kristian Stanfill called Like a Lion and the beginning part of it goes:
"Let love explode and bring the dead to life. A love so bold to see a revolution, somehow."
And I believe that's exactly what needs to happen; love needs to be spread around to anyone and everyone (even if it may seem like they don't deserve it). Because everyone has got that 'something' going on in their lives that's bringing them down, but we can change that, by showing them that not all people are bad, and not everything is going to suck...

I have some friends who got to have the experience of going to Africa this summer, and though I didn't go, some of the stuff they have been telling me that they learned, is starting to rub off on me. I know it's not the same thing as going there and actually experiencing it the way that they did, but at least they're spreading what they learned to those around them, so that they can have an idea of what it was like.
Anyway, they both told me that while they were there, they felt loved; and not just "I love you!" but really loved. They said they were loved 'without the words having to be said.' That people there would share everything they owned with you, even if it wasn't much, that they would share their deepest stories with you, even though it might mean judgement, and that they truly care for each other so much, that they don't necessarily have to say "I love you" because they already know. (One of my friend's blogs on the subject: A way to say it, without speaking and another blog on the subject of Africa: Not Just a Backup and both of their blogs/experiences are fantastic things to read about)

The U.S. is so full of material items...and sure, yeah, things like iPhones and iPods and TVs and XBOXs and stuff are fun to have. But I find it astounding that people in Africa, who may have nothing, can still have everything. Some people don't even know what it feels like to be loved, and it's because of the way they're treated by us. The only way they can experience that love is if we can show them what it's like to love, and be loved in return...
I just find it absolutely amazing, mind-blowing, that there are people there living in poverty, with nothing to hold on to, but love. And I really wish that people here could live that same way. I'm sure maybe there are a few of us that will start that way: we'll love everyone, give compliments, share our feelings of hope and stories of God, but it won't last...because we all get distracted by everything that's going on around us...We get distracted, because we live in a world so full of materials that something as simple as 'love' doesn't seem to involve us anymore...

I say we change that. Let's start a revolution...let's spread the love. It has to start somewhere, and it can only start with you.

3 comments:

  1. Good stuff. One of the places we need to go as Christians is to the 24/7 dynamic of always being aware of God in every situation at all time. God will speak into a situation and we will say okay, here I go God and then we are loving in the most meaningful way. That's how a revolution starts-you speak into it by the leading of the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an excellent blog and I would love to be part of the revolution... Let's build it together,,,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments! They're much appreciated.
    And that's exactly it. With God we can do the impossible. And something like this seems like just that: impossible. Because there are so many people in this world feeling so many different things. I just want to see that people get the love that they deserve...even though it's hard to think about on a day-to-day basis...I think it can be done.

    ReplyDelete